Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Apples on my family tree [part 7] - Bookends and Circles

Eva's Personal Log: Stardate 62690.3, Earthdate August 24, 2385.

Where to begin?  I truly don't know; I suppose at the beginning...

One of the first things I can clearly remember after the decimation of our home world is my grandmother reading me a story from an old book she grabbed before the evacuation.  I was still young when it happened, and she decided to read me a story to calm my nerves.  I couldn't even remember the name of the tome, but I can remember it's binding well.  There were two signatures on the inside: my grandmother's and Mr. Scott's, along with the word "Apples."  I never understood it; only asked her about it once; it seemed so insignificant at the time.  "A friend of my youth," she had said...  Today, I signed the very book from all those years ago, and I can't help but feel a sense of closure, as if I've come full circle.

To that end, maybe this is the extent of my interactions.  Perhaps I was never meant to change things, after all.  At the very least, I know I no longer have enough time...

I came to the conclusion when I approached a frightened Kabrina, who explained that a Vice Admiral T'Area had called both Devon and herself into chambers.  She said there was a certain agency that wanted to question them both, and that the admiral was also looking for me.  Needless-to-say, I believe these to be the same intruders I witnessed in my room only a few nights prior... and I... panicked.  Paranoia in the group caused us to go off the grid, and I do believe Devon's intentions may have been to completely walk away from his career, fear of being discovered.  Little did he realize the inquisition was to be about me:  'Open a case file,' the intruder had said.  And the scrutiny this will bring upon me will effectively destroy my chances of completing my mission subtly... So, I decided to flee.


Before I left, I did try to pass along something to Kabrina: imagery and feelings I hope she is able to pick up on.  She was distraught though, and I don't believe I was able to convey what I needed to.  I suddenly and abruptly left them both, seeking refuge with a transport captain offering sanctuary... Devon wanted to come; I talked him down.  I could have been more collected... I should have been.  To Kabrina and Devon, I'm sure I came off as aloof, fragmented, desperate, and scared.  I was scared:  nothing could have prepared me for being discovered so quickly.

Why hadn't the temporal nanobots shielded me, as they have been?
Had the nanite infestation broken them down?
And if so, had assimilation begun?
I suppose, at this point, only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment